Friday, May 02, 2008

Kids ride free this Sunday, May 4th (but don't they already walk under?)

I guess Nestle Nesquik is sponsoring this special event where kids can ride free on Sunday, in addition to hanging out with the Nesquick bunny at certain locations. More information can be found here: http://www.bart.gov/news/features/features20080425.asp

Great promotion for BART and Nestle. Fun for the family. But...when I saw this, the first thing that came to my mind was, don't kids already ride free? Not because they are supposed to but more often than not, I see many kids who can bend over under the ticket gate get through that way instead of using a ticket. Most of the time with their parents.

Not everyone does that, I know, but more than 50% of parents I see on BART who have taken kids with them do not pay for them.

At what age is a ticket required? I assume if they are in a stroller, it's ok, but what about 5 or 10 year olds? I've even seen teenagers go through the gates without paying.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

According to the BART website, children 4 and under ride free. Children 5 and older are required to have a ticket. Like you, I often see kids that look older than 4 ducking under the stalls with the parents' full permission.