Thursday, May 21, 2009

Driving too much the past couple of days

I've had to drive the past couple of days for meetings and personal reasons. I really wish there was an easier way to go from Orinda to San Jose because 60 miles each way, 120 miles per day, can really make you age fast.

Some have suggested to me BARTing to Dublin/Pleasanton station and then take the ACE train from there. But a 2 hour trip each way just isn't possible for me! I have too many responsibilities at work and at home. During my drive home yesterday, I almost fell asleep as I was going 15 mph around the Sunol Grade. On my San Jose meeting days, I can spend up to 4 hours each day just in my car. I have to go to San Jose once a week and I really wish there is an easier option than driving. Maybe the toll lanes they are creating will help?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I commute to San Jose 3 days a week by car, then I take BART-Bike-Bus the other two days. I live in El Sobrante (closer to Orinda) Here is the "secret":

DRIVING:
- GETTING THERE: Leave before 6a. Take 24 to 880. It is 46 min to North San Jose/Highway 237 where I work.

LEAVING THERE: Leave before 3p. Take 680 to 24 to San Pablo Dam Road. It is 1hr 10 min from North San Jose/Highway 237 to my home.

BART-BUS-BIKE:
- GETTING THERE: Take the 1st or
2nd Orinda BART train in the morning to MacArthur. Transfer to the Fremont Train.
Take the VTA 180 Bus to Milpitas Transit Center (Great Mall). Time: 1hr 10min. Then take the VTA Light Rail wherever you like or ride your bike.
- LEAVING THERE: Same as getting there, but make sure to take the 3p VTA 180 Bus. It will take 1hr 35mins.

Yes, if I did the BART-Bus-Bike thing 5 days a week I would go nuts. So, I break it up by driving 3 days.

Anonymous said...

once a week??? whoever you work for hasn't heard about video conferencing yet? If they were forced to count your travel time as hours worked...

Chuck said...

You say: "But a 2 hour trip each way just isn't possible for me! I have too many responsibilities at work and at home."

And then you say: "On my San Jose meeting days, I can spend up to 4 hours each day just in my car."

Maybe I'm missing something (travel between meetings maybe?) but that sure sounds like the equivalent of a two hour trip each way. If that's the case your choices are either relaxing on the train or stressing in your vehicle in traffic. I'd take the train...

Water Damage Restoration Poway said...

Greatt read thank you