Tuesday, November 29, 2005

New job, new BART stop.

I didn't mention this earlier since these entries are mainly about BART, but I did get a new job recently and I am starting tomorrow! This actually means a great deal for my roundtrip BART commute. I am now exiting at the Embarcadero station, which is 4 exits before the Civic Center station. Boy, the differences between the two stations are VAST! Embarcadero is by the water, with beautiful sweeping views of the Bay, in the heart of financial district, ideal location for shopping and dining, festive around holidays (outdoor Kristi Yamaguchi ice rink, beautifual Embarcadero Xmas lights, and red and green trimmings all over downtown), much cleaner all around, and with fewer homeless people near the station. I used to work near this station, so I know the benefits of working back in the Embarcadero area.

Getting off Embarcadero instead of Civic Center doesn't mean that I won't deal with delays, disgusting scents, strange stains, perverts, weirdos and other undesirable encounters, it does mean that I don't need to catch the company shuttle each day after getting off BART. NO MORE SHUTTLES! I will be able to walk out of the Embarcadero station, and walk right into my new building. Oh...how nice that will be. That cuts 10-15 minutes off my commute each way!!! Not to mention taxi expenses whenever I miss the darn shuttle.

There is one drawback, however, to my new BART commute. Embarcadero riders getting on the BART train back to the East Bay usually have no seats, if they can even find standing room at all!! I better get used to standing and smelling the person next to me, because by Embarcadero station pick-up, the train is usually jam packed. The advantage I have is that I'm relatively thin, so I don't need much space to stand.

Well, just wanted to share this news. I'm sure I'll have many "standing passenger" horror stories to write about.

1 comment:

WLIB said...

If you really want a seat (and have the extra time), you can ride from Embarcadero to Civic Center or Powell, cross over and board a train for the East Bay. I did this a few times when I was going from Montgomery to 19th Street Station. Lafayette's a longer trip and may be worth it. Happy riding!