Friday, March 06, 2009

M.Y.O.B.

An elderly woman on the train had a serious staring problem and just can't seem to mind her own business. Not only did she stare at everyone around her up and down, and up and down, she actually told a woman to zip up her purse to avoid thefts, and told a man to hem his pants because the bottoms were wet from the rain puddles. I was ready for her to say something about me since I've caught her staring at me every time I glanced her way, but she never fired away with a comment.

Sure, her comments and persistent staring were harmless but to the rest of us, the general rule on BART is Mind Your Own Business. I don't tell the passenger next to me that he has food stuck in between his teeth, and he doesn't tell me that I left a button undone. I guess this woman was trying to be helpful but the two people she talked to sure did not appreciate her comments and thought she was annoying for not minding her own business.

M.Y.O.B. -- that's the general rule on BART.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

wtf is that about. nosy old busy body - that's what she must be.

Anonymous said...

Observed someone similar on Muni a couple of months ago, might have even been the same elderly woman. One of her targets fired back by saying she had bad breath and should buy some mints. She was shocked into silence.

Anonymous said...

As I was leaving the train, a young man ahead of me was wearing new pants, and there was a long product sticker down the back of one leg - the large kind with the size printed on it. On the way up the escalator, I told him about it quietly. He was genuinely thankful. "MYOB" has a large grey area.

Anonymous said...

how sad.. maybe when you're being mugged I'll just MYOB and not help

Anonymous said...

i wouldn't get worked up over this woman; she was probably just crazy ("crazy" being a term of art in the urban transportation context)...