Thursday, March 02, 2006

A crowded train with a crock pot full of sour cabbage

I haven't had any luck lately with getting a seat on BART. The trains have been crowded and I consider myself lucky if I can keep a corner to myself.

Believe it or not, a woman brought with her onto the train a crock pot full of sour cabbage or some type of pungently sour and spiced vegetables. Immediately, the sour smell spread throughout the train. I love sour cabbage, sauerkraut, and pickled vegetables, but bringing a freshly made pot of something so pungent onto a crowded BART train is somewhat inconsiderate. In fact, you're not supposed to bring food or drinks onto the train at all, although many people still sneak in coffee or fast food. Scent tend to magnify on BART- burgers, fries, chicken, pizza...I've smelled them all. It's disgusting. The sour cabbage scent turned into a smell resembling dirty bathrooms. Normally delicious foods just do not smell good on BART. There just isn't enough oxygen for all of us to breath in as it is.

That is why BART commuters hardly participate in pot lucks at work! When we do, we usually bring the salad, drinks, cookies or brownies....things that don't stink up the train. Well, at least I bring those things because I don't have a signature dish to show off, but still...even if I did, I wouldn't subject fellow passengers to 30+ minutes of unpleasantry.

No comments: