Friday, May 18, 2007

Peddlers on BART

I felt like I was in Tijuana yesterday afternoon! A man and his child were selling from seat to seat. The kid had a tray of random things from gum to bracelets, and the man had CDs, DVDs, fake Giant/As pins, caps and head bands in his tray for sale.

They were non-threatening so I didn't bother to get up to call the TO. It was actually kind of funny that they were doing that on the train.

I see people selling things outside of the stations but rarely inside the train. I've seen people begging or performing on trains, but not actually carrying around a selection of random trinkets in a tray and asking people to take a look.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog, but in this case you are part of the problem! What they were doing is illegal. Selling fake trade marked items is a big no no and selling anything on the train is illegal. You or someone should have gotten up an reported it. Many people like to complain, about BART but few inculding you feel the need to be part of the solution.

bartmusings said...

I know, but in this case, I felt they were non-threatening and really needed to make a living somehow.

Yeah, it's illegal, I know, but there are peddlers everywhere outside ATT park after games. Meanwhile, while SFPD is parked right outside, but not doing anything too If they were harrassing me, I definitely would have called the police. I'm writing about it as something out of the ordinary, not really as a complaint.

I do complain about other aspects of BART, and I do send my opinions via BART.gov....I don't really get a response, however. A couple weeks ago I did make a point to be better about calling the TO to keep BART safe, but this time, it was almost a sad observation, with a young child and his dad selling items to make a living.

bartmusings said...

I meant to say in the blog that they were non-threatening-- I think I had a typo originally saying they were threatening! Oops! Very non-threatening, actually...harmless.

Unknown said...

Better that they sell stuff like trinkets and A's hats than they sell drugs and rob people...