Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Watch out for the recycled newspaper bin!

I don't know why it took me this long to write about the recycled newspaper bins situated in every BART station. Basically, these bins are located right next to an escalator, so passengers who've already read the papers can toss it in the bin to recycle. This way, the BART trains won't be piled with hundreds of sets of newspapers. What these bins have also become is really quite interesting. New passengers throughout the day know to look into these bins to grab a used (but normally in good condition) copy of today's paper. Why not? It's free and it's eco-friendly to use recycled products.

The problem is, a lot of BART passengers are inconsiderate. They toss leftover coffee (first of all, coffee is actually not allowed on BART), food (neither is food), ticket receipts, gum, and anything else they'd like to get rid of, into these bins. The only time I've ever looked into the bin for newspaper became my last because I found a piece of gum stuck on the top pile of paper. Today, I saw a man hurl out a significant and weighty piece of phlegm and spit it into the bin. Luckily I didn't have to see the output closely, but judging by the long and deep hurl up the throat, I already know that whoever looks into the newspaper bin will find an unpleasant surprise.

Why can't people just follow the rules?

No comments: