Tuesday, February 13, 2007

A commute experience like a Seinfeld episode

I am a huge Seinfeld fan. I can still laugh at reruns that I've seen at least 5 times throughout my life. Many of you might not know what the heck I'm talking about, but being stuck in a bad BART delay today really reminds me of the episode titled "The Subway" where Elaine was stuck in an overcrowded subway train that stopped service and went out of power on her way to a wedding. I relate well to that episode.

Her thought process during the momentary service stop/power outage mirrors what I say to myself inside whenever I am stuck in a BART situation where I have no clue when the train will start moving again. However, with BART, half of the time, a train operator will make an audible update announcement to let us know what is causing the delay, but half of the time, we can't hear the announcement, or there is no announcement altogether, causing most of us to feel anxious, annoyed, impatient, and for some, nervous or angry. When the angry passengers start cussing aloud in a motionless and CO2 filled train, the situation worsens threefold! No one likes to be stuck inside a crowded train, but those people should try to keep their feelings to themselves, like the rest of us.

The episode also involves Jerry sitting across from a naked man: his thought process reflecting mine whenever I see a freakish character on BART, although I've yet to run into someone naked. I have, however, seen a mentally-handicapped woman wearing a beat-up sweatshirt with only pantyhose. I couldn't tell whether she knew what she was doing on BART (it seemed like she was alert although why would anyone alert wear only pantyhose with a hole-filled sweatshirt), but her revealing outfit certainly drew a lot of stares.

If you ever watch that episode (it was on last night on KTVU), you'll know what I'm talking about and how well it describes my feelings during a severe BART delay.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love when people compare life to seinfeld episodes it's so original and like the show so hilarious.....