Tuesday, November 15, 2005

R. Kelly you are not!

Some people take the whole "I don't care about what people think of me" mentality to a whole new level. I definitely think that it's good to not let other people's opinions dictate your life, but sometimes, I come across individuals who take that a bit too far....beyond the level of basic common sense.

On the ride home on BART today, one man stood out today...in a bad way. He had a beat-up looking Sony walkman in his hand, and headphone in his ears. The entire train ride, he was singing loudly to what was apparently a R. Kelly CD (judging from the songs.) He screamed the words, attempted to sing the high octaves, and even mimicked R. Kelly's deep-voiced monologues....all during the train ride with 100 people in the same train! If he sounded like R. Kelly, maybe the rest of us will end up clapping for him after each song. But he was horrible! It was noise to me! He was out of tune, his throat hiccuped and squeaked whenever he tried to sign high notes...and worst of all, he was unbelievably loud. He had his eyes closed, he was deep into the tunes, shaking his head and body to the melody....he really thought he was R. Kelly performing on BART!

He sounded awful! Everyone glanced at him for a second, and looked away while making not-so-kind judgments about him and his lack of talent inside our heads.

Then, in downtown Oakland, he left the train...still singing. Suddenly, the train bursted out in laughter, sighs of relief, and conversations about him. I was just glad that there is silence once again on BART so I can focus on my book (Memoirs of a Geisha, very good so far!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just be glad he didn't pee on anyone!!!

Anonymous said...

Boy, that is annoying. I was on the train the other morning and some Black dude was doing that. He has iPod up so loud, I could hear every word and then with the singing too. So, I got up and moved to the middle of the train. I still could hear it under my headphones. I don't even put any music on. I just used the headphones to try and block out theirs and the noise from the BART tracks.